Reinforced rear shock mounts...Where from?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rick
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 'F #72 TF135 Conv

Reinforced rear shock mounts...Where from?

Post by Rick » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi all!

Need to try to get the reinforced shock mounts for the rear of my F as the O/S top mount has cracked despite being welded up once already!

Anyone know where to get some from or have I got to fabricate some?

Rick

yo55er
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: F

Re: Reinforced rear shock mounts...Where from?

Post by yo55er » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:34 pm

The part that has cracked, is it on the damper or are you talking about the bodywork? I ask because, if it is the damper, I have the set of my F, when I had the Suplex fitted and your welcome to the rear shockers.
Dave

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:47 pm

This is a known problem however what dampers have you got ?? It is normally due to aftermarket dampers that are too stiff. I do not think that there is a readily available repair kit available however Techspeed can do a one off.
This is a good reason why I would not fit a Suplex Kit.
Geoff F.

Dieter K
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Post by Dieter K » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Yes, would be of interest about the shockers used.
I recall Mike Satur had the reinforcement brackets available, but I think it's easier to just ask at Techspeed or B&G who used to have the MGF Cup cars.
At Robs is still the report from Andrew available
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/co ... ailure.htm

However, Geoff, the Suplex kit is only at the subframe. Standard none adjustable gaz shockers are included, so no problem with the shocker mounts ... usually. 8-)
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

Rick
Model of Car: 'F #72 TF135 Conv

Post by Rick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:25 am

I have gaz adjustables from mgf centre not on their stiffest setting, it's all the weak welds in the engine bay side of the top mount that are fractured that meet the body...

Had these on for years so can only guess that it's the very poor road to my new house that's done it....

I have had them welded once before but that was after running over an unlit traffic island with that wheel :-/

Rick

Taki
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 1998

Post by Taki » Wed May 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi Rick
I am looking for the same kit. Did you manage to find something?
I recently replaced the dampers on my MGF 98 and then read that the top mounts should be reinforced to avoid serious damage. The car feels much better now but I am worried...

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 03, 2012 9:50 am

Mike Satur used to do these, but I can't find them on his website, but it may be worth dropping him a line (or an email) Taki. Otherwise, it is a case of fabricating a plate - which should not be too difficult, and welding it in - as seen on Andrew's article:

Taki

Post by Taki » Thu May 03, 2012 10:41 am

Thank you for your reply.
I have seen a photo of those plates and already mailed MS but they do not make them anymore.

I feel safer if I find a ready-made set and have it welded here.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Would be very easy for someone to make - I don't know the spec, but would imagine the plates are 2 or 3mm steel plate. If you have a local fabricator near you, have a chat to them. Even better if Mike Satur can send you the material specifications and the measurements necessary to reproduce his reinforcement plates...

Andrew Reagens also posts regularly here - might be worth sending him a PM to see whether he can tell you more about the rebuilt suspension mounts...

Taki

Post by Taki » Thu May 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Thank you for your suggestions.
Of course it would be much easier to make them here if exact specifications are available.
As far as I understand from the forums most Fs have dampers that are much stiffer than the original but only some faced the problem.

Hainsie
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: '96 BRG VVC

Post by Hainsie » Thu May 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Blimey Rick, if I set my Gaz shockers much over 10, the front end bounces around!

Mine are set on 5 clicks out of 30 odd, apparently a trophy equivalent setting is 8 all round.

If you find some strengthening plates, please let me know as I would like to fit them as a precaution :D

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri May 04, 2012 9:46 am

Taki wrote:Thank you for your suggestions.
Of course it would be much easier to make them here if exact specifications are available.
As far as I understand from the forums most Fs have dampers that are much stiffer than the original but only some faced the problem.
That's certainly true - it seems that failure is not inevitable. For example, quite a few people have had Bilsteins fitted to their MGFs - and these are certainly stiffer than the originals, even if they are not adjustable. Dave Livingstone's car developed cracks in the upper damper mount (heard as a creaking noise), and had to have the re-inforcements welded in (in this case, by Tech-Speed motorsport). Mine however, have caused no problems whatsoever.

It's a combination of factors - the quality of the welding in that area on your car, the stiffness of the dampers used, how the car is used, and on what kind of road surfaces... and it could all be just a matter of time before the failure rate reaches 100%...

Taki

Post by Taki » Fri May 04, 2012 3:25 pm

I have the Bilsteins on my car as well. It was a quick decision as two of the originals have failed completely and they had to be replaced the soonest. However from what I read just after fitting them they are one of the best choices for the F.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri May 04, 2012 3:37 pm

Most definitely - I think they really are excellent for the money :thumbsu:

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Sat May 05, 2012 10:20 am

There used to be a booklet for specs that were homoligated for MG F racing, I used their specs to make up the plates needed to reinforce my rear suspension. I also used the B&G stiffer shocks ( 2002 ) and these ( stiffer ) shocks caused my problems. I have not had a problem since, except breaking front wishbones which I think is due to PU bushes but that is another issue
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sat May 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Andrew Regens wrote:There used to be a booklet for specs that were homoligated for MG F racing, I used their specs to make up the plates needed to reinforce my rear suspension. I also used the B&G stiffer shocks ( 2002 ) and these ( stiffer ) shocks caused my problems. I have not had a problem since, except breaking front wishbones which I think is due to PU bushes but that is another issue
The use of past tense is a bit worrying Andrew - anyone still got that booklet?

I have had a look through my archive, and found the MG Challenge 2002 Sporting and Technical regulations (when I was considering taking my car racing). It has regulations covering both the MGF Trophy (road going cars) and the MGF Cup. Unfortunately, there is no mention of the rear damper mount modification, although mention is made of the "Build Manual #MGF 000M", which is, I presume, what you had access to Andrew?

Anyone got a copy of the Build Manual, MGF 000M? I'd absolutely love to have a copy - not just for this, but for all the other little nuggets of information that it'll contain! :thumbsu:

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Tue May 08, 2012 9:14 am

scan0002.tif
Please stand on head to read it!
Please stand on head to read it!
I have found my copy of ' MGF Trophy Development Information ' of 79( single sided ) pages this is a photo copy of a publication issued by Rover Sport dated 07/96.
It is in five sections 1/ Introduction, 2/ Build Details, 3/ Parts list, 4/ Hints &Tips - Servicing & Rebuild, 5/ Running the car.
There is a warning ' The development of this specification and the parts made available for this specification are designed for competition use ' I cannot find a part publication number on my copy
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 08, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks Andrew! :thumbsu:

If you are ever in a position to scan the whole booklet in, I'd love a copy? :D

Cheers

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Tue May 08, 2012 2:04 pm

If you are ever in a position to scan the whole booklet in, I'd love a copy? :D

Cheers[/quote]

Don't hold your breath waiting, but it will happen :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks Andrew - no rush, but it may prove very useful in considering future Project Shed developements :thumbsu: